The last regular season Track and Field Meet

Olivia Gasca, Editor

As the season came to an end, the Braves track and field team competed at Nathan Hale High School for the last meet of the regular season. This meet took place on Thursday, May 5th against Nathan Hale and Ballard.

It was a very sunny day, which drained the runners.

The team achieved outstanding results with senior Zach Shugart setting a new personal record.  As a pole vaulter, Shugart hit 16-8 with a big clearance becoming the 4th highest pole vaulter in the history of Washington State. He will be attending University of Washington in the fall as a part of the track and field team.

“I’m finally finding a rhythm in my jumps and getting on the right poles,” said Shugart. “The state record 17-5 is coming soon.”

Senior Claire Manley participated in the 1600 meter and 4×400 meter relay and came in first for the 1600 meter and second for the relay.

“People raced other people very well putting in surges and sticking to pace setters,” said Manley.

Her biggest goal is to get the opportunity to compete in state and represent the Braves.

It was a tough competition for the girls distance team because of the advanced abilities of their competitors, but they gave it their all and raced a great event in the end.

For junior Alex Sheldrup, she believed it was not her best meet. Participating in the high jump, Sheldrup was at the qualifying height for metros and cleared it but hit it on her way down so she thinks she may not make metros.

“As a team I think we did really well,” said Sheldrup, “we will have a lot of people continuing to Metros and districts and hopefully state.”

IMG_7461An upside to this challenging meet was the intense support and great attitudes coming from the team itself. This meet resulted in many personal records set for the braves and was a good way to end the regular season.

Metros start at the end of next week so make sure to go out and support your Brave runners.