Chris Condon: Blanchet Junior, Seattle Freshman

Chad Strazzara, Reporter

Life is good. You’re done with Sophomore year and have finally earned the title of upperclassman at your high school. You feel that you’ve solidified a good group of friends within your class and are eager to begin begin your summer. What could possibly put a damper on life in a time like this? For Bishop Blanchet Junior Chris Condon, all it took was these four words: “We’re moving to Seattle.”

Condon moved to Seattle from Colorado Springs, Colorado last summer and is close to completing his first year here at BBHS as a member of the class of 2017.

Although the first few months of the transition were rough for Condon, as they would be for anyone moving to a new area and attending a brand new high school, as he began to meet people in his classes and get comfortable with the Seattle area, the transition began to smooth itself out. Condon attests to the fact of how welcoming and inclusive Blanchet students are as an integral part of being able to manage such a tough transition.

“The students here at Blanchet are all very outgoing,” said Condon “that was something I really admired in my transition.”

In his brief time living in the Seattle area, one thing Condon has enjoyed above all else is the food of the Pacific Northwest.

“I definitely think the food here in Seattle is a lot better than in Colorado Springs,” said Condon.

Another thing Condon has enjoyed about living in Seattle is something that he believes most kids born and raised in the area take for granted: living by the water.

“Having lived in Colorado Springs where it’s really dry,” said Condon “I’ve appreciated living in such close proximity to a body of water like the Puget Sound.”

His family moved from Colorado to the Emerald City as the result of his dad taking a different job that would relocate him to Seattle. Having attended private school for his first two years of high school, Condon opted to look at two prominent private high schools in the Seattle area after making the move: Bishop Blanchet and Seattle Prep. After touring and considering the two schools, Condon came to the conclusion that Blanchet was the school for him.

“I chose to come to Blanchet after looking at both Blanchet and Seattle Prep,” said Condon “What I liked about Blanchet that made me want to come here was that I noticed all of the students at Blanchet to be nicer and more normal than at Seattle Prep.”

Although being a student at Blanchet certainly takes up a vast amount of time in anyone’s life, between an eight hour school day five days of the week with multiple hours of homework on top, Condon makes time for various interests, obligations and hobbies. In his free time, Condon enjoys playing golf, going snowboarding, and hanging out with friends.

“Outside of the time I invest into being a student, I have guitar practice every day for an hour,” said Condon. “Although our season just ended, when we are in the spring sports season soccer practices and games also take up a lot of my time.”

One of Condon’s new favorite things to do outside of school is go wakeboarding and inner tubing with his brother on Lake Washington. As aforementioned by Condon, being in such close proximity to bodies of water is something new to him and has lent itself to establishing new interests for Condon.

Although Condon’s interests cover a wide spectrum, his focus seems to be on music. Having pursued a musical career in guitar for four years now, Condon hopes to expand his versatility in music and learn to play another instrument.

“I would like to have playing the saxophone develop into a regular hobby of mine in the future,” said Condon.

Approaching 1 year of living in the Seattle area, Condon has come to love not only Seattle itself, but specifically Blanchet and the Brave community.

“What I have enjoyed about Blanchet thus far is that it’s a nice community and that all the teachers want you to be successful,” said Condon