Hot Start, No Fluke: Braves Legitimate Force in Metro

Team huddles pregame. Photo: Jimmy Rosenberger

Zach Walls, Reporter

The Braves girls’ soccer continued their soaring start to the season, going 2-0-2 over their last four matches, including a blowout victory over Bainbridge on September 13.

The fast start can be attributed  to the Braves high flying attack, which leads Metro League with an astonishing 20 goals scored. This unparalleled total is a result of having two of the top goal scorers in the league on the roster. Freshmen striker Katie O’Kane has 5 goals, while junior winger Gigi Gallaudet leads Metro with 7. This goal scoring prowess was on full display in the 5-0 victory over Bainbridge and the 2-0 away win at Eastside Catholic, with O’Kane and Gallaudet tallying a goal each in both fixtures.

img_0315
Sophomore Payton Neal battles it out in the midfield. Photo: Jimmy Rosenberger

“Goals win games,” said senior defensive midfielder Meghan Mason. “Having those two up top makes it easier to score more goals and win more games.”

Although she leads Metro in goals scored, Gallaudet plays unselfishly, currently tied with teammate Payton Neal for second in Metro assists totals with 3. In fact, Blanchet is the most selfless team in the city, with a Metro high 8 different players registering an assist over the course of the young season.

“We are focused on finding the best option possible,” said junior left back Kara Cunningham. “We are close and trust in each other, no one is going to hog the ball”.

Although the league-leading attack may gather all the attention, the Braves’ stinginess at the back makes the team click. Currently tied for second in Metro with 4 shutouts, an experienced backline, which includes senior captains Katie Newman and Brooklyn Gomez, provides the foundation for the attack to flourish.

“Having a defense as talented as ours behind us makes scoring goals so much easier,” said O’Kane. “Its reassuring to know that if you lose the ball, they will win it back quickly.”

That defense was on full display on Friday when the Braves held the first place Lakeside Lions to a 0-0 draw. The only blemish on the record so far was a 2-1 away defeat to perennial powerhouse, Holy Names Academy, last Tuesday. The Braves take to the pitch again on September 27, where they play host to rivals Seattle Prep in a derby match at 6:00 p.m.