Braves Celebrate French Culture

An example of the decorations put up by the French club

Malcolm McDowall, Reporter

The week of October 31, the students at Bishop Blanchet celebrated French Week.

French Week, which is actually supposed to take place the week after it was celebrated at Blanchet, is a nationally declared week intended to celebrate French-speaking cultures. The week consisted of several events as celebrated, each taking place during lunch on each respective day. Events included French trivia on Monday, a bake sale on Tuesday, a Cake Walk on Wednesday, a Mime-Off on Thursday, and finally a Croque Monsieur game on Friday.

A sign, detailing the individual events and on which day they take place during French Week

In addition to all of these fun daily activities, there were extra activities that spanned the entire week.

“They did daily trivia questions that they would ask on the intercom,” said Madame Hallenbeck, a French teacher who also helped with putting together French Week at Blanchet. “And then they had the beret girl, or beret boy, giving treats if you knew the answer.”

French club was at the helm of French Week this year, directing and deciding most of the decorating, as well as the activities. Among French club was Nico Dangla.

“Throughout the week,” said Dangla, “we had a scavenger hunt for the French flag… for spirit points.”

Dangla and Hope Gould, the president of French club, put this scavenger hunt together to bring in more participation from the classes, adding the incentive of spirit points to tie the Blanchet spirit into the week’s activities.