JVC Girls’ Basketball Play Aggressively for a Surprising Win Against Rainier Beach

The+girls+at+their+team+bonding+sleepover+over+Winter+Break+

The girls at their team bonding sleepover over Winter Break

Clara Costa, Reporter

The JVC Girls’ Basketball team beat Rainier Beach 31-19 this past Wednesday, January 4th at Bishop Blanchet.

The team played hard and well in their last game against Rainier Beach. Scoring to 21-7 in the first half, they didn’t let their opponent get in the way of scoring. The girls were able to play aggressively and work well with their teammates to score a crushing defeat over their highly acclaimed opponent.

Freshman Post Yordanos Mamo believes that the motivation to play hard came from Rainier Beach’s reputation of winning and was able to accomplish goals that she set for herself.

“Playing against Beach with my team was amazing,” said Mamo. “The girls we played were definitely more aggressive than any other team we’ve played before, but I think that just made us want to win more. My goal was to make an effort to pass to people that were open so we could score more easily.”

Freshman Post Kate Yerkes believes that spending more time with the girls off the court has allowed them to bond and work better as a team.

“Over Christmas break there was a team sleepover,” said Yerkes. “I think it helped when we played against Beach because I have never seen us play better as a team. Our passes were amazing and most of the time our shots went in; if they didn’t, someone would always be there to rebound and put it back up.”

Freshman Post Mia Jones credits the win to the strategies given by head coach Lisa Olsen before the game.

“Coach Olsen said that what we needed to do was go to out there and use every chance we had to score,” said Jones. “We took her advice and never gave up when we lost the ball. As a team we played very aggressively and I think that kind of mentality is what made us win.”

The girls play West Seattle at home this coming Monday, January 9th.