Brave Hoops’ Struggles Continue

Carlos Rosales plays defense against Nathan Hale.

Zach Walls, Reporter

The post-Christmas struggles have continued for the Bishop Blanchet men’s varsity basketball team. They lost their last game 71-59 to the Cleveland Eagles for their 8th loss in a row. While the L’s have been piling up, so have the quality performances.

The Braves put their best half of the season together in a tough, 83-48 loss to No.1 ranked Nathan Hale on January 13. After the first quarter, the Braves were level with the Raiders at 20 and went into the half down just five.

Yen Lui
Junior Swingman Toots Moloney

“The atmosphere in the gym was electric,” said Blanchet teacher Robert Bergin. “It was the best half of high school basketball I have ever seen.”

Yen Lui
Junior Combo Guard Tj Kenny

Another positive of the win drought has been the opportunity for everyone on the team to play. Toots Moloney and TJ Kenny have spent a large portion of the season as benchwarmers, but have both had the chance to increase their roles over the last couple games.

Both Kenny and Moloney have rewarded Coach Bilanko for his trust in them. Moloney banked in a three-pointer against Hale to give the Braves an early lead. Kenny has played quality defense and exploded for 9 points in a tight, 57-54 loss to the O’Dea Irish on January 17.

The Braves hope to snap their cold streak when they host the Franklin Quakers on January 31.