Love Life Club Discusses Spectrum of Topics

Sophia Petrucci, Reporter

The Love Life Club is a group of students who join together to discuss and learn about current issues related to human life, serve the community, and unite in other ways around the dignity of humanity.

Founded three years ago, the group wants to bring awareness to issues that jeopardize human dignity, encompassing not just the visible issue of abortion but other infringements on the whole spectrum of human life.

“The mission of the club is to bring awareness to people,” said member Inna Marron, “and hopefully encourage them to help the less fortunate.”

This year, they are trying to raise funds to go to a summer-fun fundraiser for ultrasound machines for the Seattle Tacoma area. They are also trying to partner with a pregnancy clinic that will open near the University of Washington. And every year they go to the pro-life march in Olympia. Some students say this march deeply affected them, while others are looking forward to their first involvement this January.

“Our club in general talks about all sorts of different topics, has a whole spectrum,” said moderator Lauren White. “Students bring different issues that they’re interested in learning more about, or things that have come up in conversations…. We meet often to try to learn more about certain issues related to respecting life, to help raise awareness with the school, and to help work on projects that would promote the dignity of human life.”

A club meeting can center around any issue the students want to discuss, and they are encouraged to bring in news articles or questions. In addition to trying to help those less fortunate, one of the meetings’ main focuses is on education and discussion. This provides different views on the specific topic for students to consider.

“There’s a lot of stuff that is hard to learn by yourself so I kind of wanted to learn more… and hear other people’s opinions about the topic,” said freshman member Maliko Madden. “Not all of [the people in the club] are Catholic, some of them are from other Christian denominations and religions and we’re able to talk from each of our own distinct perspectives.”

To aid the awareness part of their mission, the Love Life Week at the end of February featured morning reflections, a fundraiser, and opportunities for students to do outreach and service in the community. Topics were different every day, covering a broad range of topics.

“The thing about this club is that it’s a cool place to explore ideas and discuss,” said Mrs. White, “So it’s not like you come to the club if you support or disagree with abortion, or any particular life issue. Hopefully it’s open to people who have questions and want to learn more.”

The student members echoed this view of openness to talk about issues and listen to their peers’ perspectives on issues of dignity. For anyone wanting to join, they recommended coming in with an open mind.

“It’s hard to talk about [touchy subjects],” said Madden, “to stay open to learning and to hearing other people and being able to discuss it. I’d say be open.”

The club invites anyone interested to stop by and join their discussions. Love Life Club meets after school this Thursday in room 221.