Director of Educational Technology Ms. Laura Meaux discusses teaching and her time at Blanchet

Madeline Golliver, Editor

Ms. Laura Meaux, the Director of Educational Technology, graduated as a senior from Blanchet in 2001. Meaux, who has led the yearbook for four years, has a B.A. in History from Western Washington University. In the Blanchet community, Meaux is involved in ASB advising, participates often in the Kairos retreat, and is the coach of the cheer squad. In the following interview, she reflects on her experience as a teacher and her memories of high school.

What do you like about teaching?

“Everything. I love interacting with the students and forming relationships with them. I love my colleagues. I get to interact with you guys all day, and it’s pretty awesome.”

Why come to work at Blanchet?

“Other than the fact that I needed a job? I loved being a student here, and I love this community. I love the people who work here. I love the students who go here. I love the families and the community we have. Blanchet is a place that feels like somewhere that I want to be. This was true when I was a teenager, and it still is now as an adult. It’s a great place to work and a great community.”

What is your favorite class to teach?

“Journalism! I think making the yearbook is really fun. I think that making part of the history that everyone has for the rest of their life is pretty awesome. It’s a pretty good gig that we get to make something that people will look at forever to remember their high school experience.”

What was your favorite class as a student?

“Minority Studies with Mr. Wilkinson.”

What activities and clubs were you involved in as a student?

“I was the editor of the yearbook, a cheerleader, and on the golf team. I was the president of St. Vincent de Paul. I also did T-Club, now called Brave Hearts.”

What are your memories of tradition week as a student?

“I remember it being senior year and wearing a toga and having it be super fun. I remember we did ‘stuff the van’. All of us wore togas all day, and we all got into this van in our togas. I don’t know why I remember that. I just remember it being the most fun week of the year, like it still is now. I also remember the class camaraderie—even when you’re not friends with people, you still all come together and work towards the common goal of winning. It seems pretty much the same today.”

What is your favorite part of tradition week?

“I really like seeing everyone participate, dress up, come together, and have fun. The bonding as a class that happens is great. Just watching you guys have fun is my favorite part now.”

What do you think is the most essential characteristic of being a brave?

“Being yourself.”