Diversity Club Creates Awareness

Sophia Petrucci, Reporter

Diversity Club recently hosted Social Justice Week in collaboration with the Black Student Union; that both planned this event is due to the clubs’ similar values, which they showcased last week. However, Diversity Club has a broader scope than social justice.

“The message of diversity club to me is to bring people of different backgrounds, races, religions, etc. together,” said Meron Girma, a club member. “We are all unique and different individuals and we should be able to share our stories, talents, views and interests with one another.”

Diversity Club lives this principle of solidarity. At meetings, members spend a lot of time planning school events to communicate to and engage their school community. Supervised by Ms. Christensen, it is a student-run club, and the students work hard to bring their ideas and voices to the events they plan.

As a club in general, they create a space where people are welcome, but at the same time make it an atmosphere where students can learn and change.

“We want to make sure that everyone is comfortable,” said Mahilet Mesfin, senior co-president of the club. “But at the same time… we kind of make people ‘stay woke’ and make sure that everyone has some kind of understanding of what’s happening around us. This is our future.”

Senior Angelica Dampier, Mesfin’s co-president, echoes the sentiment. She is working with Mr. Bocian to create a more welcoming and safe Blanchet community. This spirit of striving towards equality is a core attitude of the club.

“We believe that you have to put yourself in a position that makes you uncomfortable to make sure that comfort is a thing for all people, [to create] a place where… all people are equal, all people have the same opportunities,” said Dampier. “[During Social Justice Week] we’ve had the common theme of ‘see, hear, do’.”

The club’s next event week, Diversity Week in March, will connect to this same effort of shedding light on issues that some students may not think about in their daily lives. However, it will, of course, have its own focus on just what the name proclaims: diversity.

“We definitely want to incorporate more ideas than just race and ethnicity and culture,” said Dampier. “We want to [extend it to] mental illness, disabilities… making sure all people from different backgrounds are included, because our diversity is what brings us all together.”

To anyone thinking of joining the club, both co-presidents say “Do it!”. They emphasize that to be a member “you can be any race, sexual orientation, anything, you’re more than welcome.” It is a club for any student interested in engaging in the issues in the outside world, but also for those who want to improve their school community and learn about their peers’ varied stories.

Diversity Club meets every Thursday in room 303.