Bishop Blanchet initiates Native American Week

Alex French, Reporter

If you were a Blanchet student who didn’t know much about Native American culture, that changed after a week full of information about NativeNative America Week banner Americans, food, and dancing.

The week started with two members of a tribe coming in and spreading the tradition of their rich culture to the students of Blanchet. They shared stories and songs, taught their language, and showed us their moves. An assembly that was filled with tired students turned into a stands full of interested students. Throughout the week we heard reflections and trivia that enriched the students as we learned about Native American culture.

The favorite part of the week from the view of students was the food truck that came in. The truck “Off The Rez” pulled into the quad and was immediately a hit. The students, most of them for the first time, were able to taste a new cuisine from an unfamiliar culture. The truck offered a large menu but the most common orders were for fry bread and Native American tacos.

Senior Riley Monroe said, “I took my time to get to the truck, but that was a mistake. By the time I got there the line was huge and I had to wait fifteen minutes, but trust me it was worth it.”

Mr. Jesse McFeron was the key to this week. McFeron has always been intrigued by Native American culture, and wanted to spread the story behind Blanchet’s mascot, the Brave. We are lucky to be allowed have a mascot like the Brave so it is important for the students of BBHS to learn about its roots.

To say the least, the week was a hit. We will be sure to see this week become an annual event at Bishop Blanchet.