Winter Collection Drive was Disappointing

Rachel Willison, Reporter

Over the month of February, Seattle Archbishop J. Peter Sartain issued a challenge to all eleven Catholic high schools to help the homeless in our area by putting aside our rivalries and working together.

The students of Bishop Blanchet were asked to provide sunscreen, lotion, and hand sanitizer for this Lenten Service project.

According to Associated Student Body President Jimmy Rosenberger, other schools brought in mostly winter clothing items.

“Other schools brought hats, socks, blankets, and other winter clothing items,” said Rosenberger. “We were one of the few schools who brought in toiletries.”

Students including senior Erin McDonagh brought in tubs of mini hand sanitizers, lotions, and more.

“It was a small, easy thing I could do to give back to the community,” said McDonagh. “I believe everyone should have access to basic toiletries.”

However, Bishop Blanchet unfortunately fell very short in the projected goal thus resulting in the ASB having to buy toiletries at the dollar store.

“The collection drive was a horrible showing,” said Rosenberger.  “We had very few items given by the student body, so we as an ASB had to use our Leadership Budget to buy toiletries at the dollar store.”

Even though the ASB did not have the biggest amount of toiletries to present to Archbishop Sartain, the Archbishop was grateful for what Bishop Blanchet had raised and celebrated with all the ASBs at a dinner.

Vice Principal of Student Activities Chuck Bocian attended the dinner with the Bishop Blanchet ASB and thought it went really well.

“The annual dinner with the Archbishop and the other Catholic Schools is a very positive event that allows us to gather and celebrate all that is good about Catholic Education, Service and Community,” said Bocian. “The gathering visually demonstrates the “greater Catholic School Community” and just how much we can all do together. We can see how much our efforts, when combined with all the other schools, really can and does make a difference!”