Christian Paige Performs at BBHS

Zebiba Denning, Reporter

Christian Paige, who is an educator, keynote speaker, and a spoken word poet spoke at the assembly at Bishop Blanchet on Friday, March 2.

Paige was invited to help lead Bishop Blanchet’s first Diversity Leadership Summit (DLS), organized by Ms. Janah Valenzuela and Ms. Laura Meaux. About 30 students ranging from freshman to seniors, were involved with the summit. Each student was required to be in the school cafeteria at 7:30 am on Wednesday and Thursday morning to begin the workshop. The next few hours were filled with storytelling, eye-opening activities, and laughter.

Paige grew up in Tacoma, Washington, attending both public and private school. Surrounded by less than ideal conditions, his hard work, passion and grit led him to be the first college graduate in his family.

Paige’s love to do good led him to help create a non-profit organization called the HOPE initiative. This non-profit helps create access to higher education for low-income and first generation student. It also helps teach students how to be agents of change in their communities.

During his speech at Blanchet, he explained the dangers of silence. He used personal stories, original poetry and humor to connect with Blanchet students and faculty.

His performance was a positive way to end Black History Month at Bishop Blanchet High School.