Marilu Byrne: A Local Hero

Not only is she security, she is also announcements, time keeper, supervisor, friend, the list goes on and on. It seems difficult to have this much of a workload in one day, how does Ms. Byrne do it?

Julia Stander, Reporter

It can be heavily argued that one of the most difficult jobs held here at Bishop Blanchet belongs to none other than Marilu Byrne. She has so many jobs and responsibilities at our school that most are not even sure what her actual title is.

Two years ago Byrne was brought onto the staff at Blanchet for security. She had actually taught children at Assumption St. Bridget for twenty-seven years, where moms who worked at Blanchet mentioned a job opening. So Byrne landed an interview with Mr. Bilanko, Ms. Agustavo, and Mr. Bocian, and ended up receiving a call about a week later with an offer.

Byrne says her favorite thing about working at Blanchet is that “Everyday is a new day!” she explained that “The students keep me on my toes- and I believe I do the same for them!”

Her day is not an easy one. She starts her day off with welcoming students into the school and directing traffic, making sure everyone is safe. Byrne also keeps students alert by telling them how much time they have left until the bell.

“Ms. Byrne’s job is super important around here, I see a lot of freshman boys leaving their trash on the tables, which she ends up having to pick up.” says freshman Delaney Stoner.

She then monitors the two massive lunches, “Reminding them I am not the maid and to pick up after themselves.” says Byrne.

By the last bell, she is already out in the parking lot directing traffic and notifying students of upcoming events. “Some days are better than others,” she said.

“Without Ms. Byrne, the traffic around the school at the end of the day would be horrendous,” says junior Cass Novosel, “this school can’t function without her.”

To wrap up her already stressful day, she sits with the kids after school in detention as well. She makes sure that students get their work done, “they are all productive during the time whether they like it or not.”

Stander
Byrne spends every lunch in the cafeteria picking up after the students. Some leave their trash behind, which sadly, leave her to pick it up.