Relentless Bad Weather Spoils Spring Sports

Chad Strazzara, Editor

“It’s that time of the day Braves, we’ve got rain cancellations to go through.”

Over the course of the past two months, these words have rung through the halls of Blanchet seemingly every afternoon. Ms. Jebousek’s regular announcements serve to confirm what is evident from looking out the window on almost any given day: the weather is terrible.

With Seattle recording a record amount of rainfall over the early course of the new year, spring sports at Blanchet have been impeded like never before.

“I don’t remember anything even close to this,” said George Monica, Blanchet’s Athletic Director.  “We’ve never had anything like this in terms of the numbers of cancellations, postponements, changing fields, changing where we practice, all those kinds of things, with the weather that we’ve had.”

The numbers don’t lie either. This year, across all Blanchet spring sports, 32 events have been impacted by the rain to some capacity.

Although having games/matches cancelled is certainly not desirable by any means, the argument can be made that the most detrimental factor of this bad weather has been all of the practices that have been canceled. While a game/match can ultimately be made up, the time to make both individual and team strides at practice is a significant facet of any sport that our teams are being deprived of.

This unprecedented rainfall has obstructed the flow of the season for numerous spring sports teams at Blanchet. However, no teams have felt the impact more so than the tennis, softball, and baseball teams.

“Last week we played our 16th game and to this point we’ve only had 4 outdoor practices,” said Varsity Baseball Head Coach Mike Finnegan. “The struggle to get in practices outdoors has really hurt what we can do defensively. As a result, we’ve struggled this year. The team has given up 27 unearned runs. Those unearned runs are the difference between losing a game by one or winning by one.”

As a fan, the bad weather is just as unforgiving. Personally, I can think of numerous instances this spring sports season in which I’ve wanted to go out and support our teams, but ultimately come to the conclusion that sitting out in the continual showers would be an unpleasant experience.

It saddens me to think that something as trivial as the weather is depriving me of many of my last experiences to be student-fan in my Blanchet tenure, and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

There simply is no other way to say it: this weather has been terrible. So, for our sake and the rest of the greater Seattle community, let’s hope this rough patch reaches it’s conclusion as soon as possible.