Soccer team falls to last year’s State champs

Nick Fowler, Reporter

The Braves Varsity Soccer team played 5 games in the last 2 weeks, making their season record 3 wins, 1 tie, and 3 losses.

They won 6-0 against Nathan Hale on Tuesday September 17, tied 1-1 against Inglemoor at Pop Keeney Stadium on Saturday September 21, Lost 2-1 against Seattle Prep on Tuesday September 24, won 1-0 against Bainbridge on Thursday September 26, and lost 3-0 to Lakeside on Tuesday October 1.   

The most challenging of these games for the team was against reigning State champs Seattle Prep, who last year beat the Braves 1-0. This year the Braves came close, being up 1-0 at the end of the first half. 

“Victory was literally dangled in front of our faces like no other game against them since I have been on Varsity,” said Laura Beard, “We were up 1-0 at half and then in what felt like an instant they scored two goals on us and that sense of victory was snatched away from us.” 

Despite this, Beard thinks that the team improved because of the loss.

“Having that taste of victory,” said Beard, “has only made us hungrier and more motivated.” 

A specific challenge to the team thus far has been communication on the field,.

“I think that some things we can continue to work on are communicating with each other on the field so that we can better support each other and be more successful,” said Emma Mulligan. The team is also working on being more competitive for 50/50 balls and not letting any ball hit the ground uncontested.

The team has seen success this year in how the back line has connected. “We have two new freshman defenders this year who are playing in the back line and they are fitting together and complementing our existing defenders so outstandingly,” said Beard.

Some of the team’s goals for the season include winning more 50/50 balls and beating Seattle Prep the next time that the teams meet.