National Honor Society is More Than Just an Honor Roll

Bailey Wolf, Reporter

The National Honor Society (NHS) at Bishop Blanchet is listed under the club category on the website, but it is not just a club you can show up to and hang out with your friends. 

It is a club where you must first meet and then maintain the membership guidelines, and then after that you volunteer your time to tutor the general population of the Blanchet community. 

“It is a really rewarding experience to be able to help out my community,” said junior Clare Gaskill, “I love being able to teach others the study skills that have helped me succeed.”

The guidelines for membership are having a cumulative 3.5 GPA and making First Honors twice, which is defined as having a 3.8-4.0 GPA  at the end of a semester. But NHS is “more than just an honor roll” according to the school website. 

“NHS motivates me to keep my GPA up and continue to get good grades” said junior Eliza Wells. 

NHS is an honor given to students that exhibit exemplary scholarship, service, leadership, and character. The students that are members of the organization sacrifice sleeping in to tutor peers in the tutoring labs provided on late start mornings. They also balance their own academics and extracurriculars while tutoring their classmates after school in one on one sessions for certain classes or areas of study. 

“So many students are willing to tutor their peers that there’s more people ready to tutor than there are people wanting to be tutored,” said junior Sarah van Hollenbeke. 

If you are interested in becoming a member of NHS and you meet the requirements, you will be able to apply in the spring of 2020 or the fall of 2021. 

You should be aware that this a pretty big time commitment with meetings throughout the school year and you must complete 20 hours of peer tutoring every year to keep up with your membership requirements.