Another Frat Boy Dead 

Hazing is progressively getting worse at universities, and consequences are getting heftier. 

Julia Stander, Editor

According to the Seattle Times, just last week another student at Washington State University died in a tragic fraternity accident. But are these really “accidents”? Are Greek houses being too cruel on their pledges? 

The most recent death being a freshman and Alpha Tau Omega member, Samuel Martinez. He was reported to have died at 4:30 am but paramedics were not called until 8:35 am, which seems like quite the time gap. What was happening in those four fatal hours? This is just one example of the cruel treatment happening in houses all around the country. 

Although the death did not appear to be caused by hazing according to Pullman Police investigators, this sheds light on the mysterious happenings inside a frat house. Alpha Tau Omega was reported to lose their rights to recognition, which means no intramural sports, university facility and rental, and parties. 

This isn’t the first time we have seen a frat related death. Just last year an Ohio University student died due to frat hazing, and nine faced charges for his death. The repercussions of this death included the expulsion of the fraternity from the university. Students involved are facing eleven years of jail time, which is dry serious. 

Another example of deadly frat hazing was at Louisiana State University. The death of Max Gruber left Matthew Naquin with five years of jail time, 1000 hours of service, and a $1000 fine and three years of probation, according to CNN. 

What can we do to solve these frat deaths? Moderators need to stop turning the other cheek when ‘boys will be boys’. It all starts out as fun and games until someone is dead.