Another Frat Boy Dead 

Hazing is progressively getting worse at universities, and consequences are getting heftier. 

Julia Stander, Editor

According to the Seattle Times, just last week another student at Washington State University died in a tragic fraternity accident. But are these really “accidents”? Are Greek houses being too cruel to their pledges? 

The most recent death being a freshman and Alpha Tau Omega member, Samuel Martinez. He was reported to have died at 4:30 am,  but paramedics were not called until 8:35 am, which seems like quite a long gap in time.

What was happening in those four fatal hours?

This is just one example of the cruel treatment happening in houses all around the country. 

Although, according to Pullman Police investigators, the death did not appear to be caused by hazing,  this sheds light on the mysterious happenings inside a frat house.

Alpha Tau Omega was reported to have  lost their rights of recognition, which means no intramural sports, no university facilities rentals, and no parties. 

This isn’t the first time we have seen a frat-related death. Just last year an Ohio University student died due to frat hazing, and nine other members of the fraternity  faced charges for his death. The repercussions of this death included the expulsion of the fraternity from the university. The nine students involved are facing eleven years of jail time.

Another example of a deadly frat hazing was at Louisiana State University. The death of Max Gruver left Matthew Naquin with five years of jail time, 1000 hours of service, and a $1000 fine and three years of probation, according to CNN. 

What can we do to solve these frat deaths?

Moderators need to stop turning the other cheek when ‘boys will be boys’. It all begins as fun and games, until someone is dead.