Braves Wrestling Competes at Regionals

The wrestling team went to Eastside Catholic High School to compete in the regional championship meet on Saturday, February 15th, bringing their season to a close.

Nick Fowler, Reporter

The Bishop Blanchet Wrestling team went to regionals on Saturday, February 15, ending their season strong.

The girls team was made up of just Maddie McSherry, who had two exciting matches against some very tough competition. In her first match, she fought hard for three minutes and 12 seconds against an opponent from Anacortes High School, but was ultimately pinned. Her second match was against someone from Sedro-Woolley, and she was pinned at one minute forty nine seconds.

“The team did really well this season and I am very proud,” said McSherry. “I hope next year more girls turnout because it is a really fun sport, you get to meet fun people, you become stronger, and you get to be apart of one of the fastest growing sports.”

On the boys side, three teammates competed. Emmanuel Sanchez won two out of four of his matches. While Christopher Goodspeed and Patelesio Peato both lost back-to-back matches.

“We were able to control the matches when we were down or on top, but when we were on our feet we were trying to do throws even though we are not the best at them,” said Goodspeed. “I think that although we didn’t meet are major goals for the season we still developed greatly as a team and we are looking good for next season.”