A Quite Literal Brave Alumni Faces COVID

Lauren Jarman, Reporter

The class of 2017 Bishop Blanchet graduate, Will Jarman, has spent the past few years saving lives by fighting fires, but in recent months he’s been saving lives by fighting diseases.

Jarman works in Fairbanks, Alaska as a full-time student, lieutenant firefighter, and medic. The life of a first responder is often chaotic, but the widespread Coronavirus adds to the craziness.

“COVID has impacted my line of work greatly,” said Jarman “We have increased personal protection, ask new sets of questions on calls, and avoid doing certain medical procedures that will put us at risk”.

Due to the fact that he is a front-line healthcare worker, new directives are implemented almost weekly. Firefighters and other emergency personnel are taking extra precautions during this time since they live in close contact areas and have an elevated risk of being exposed to the virus.

Although Jarman is well prepared, the amount of emergency calls have taken a decline amidst the panic of COVID as the majority of people are wanting to avoid the healthcare system. Multiple victims of the virus have been transported but other than that, most calls have consisted of aid responses, fires, assaults and other everyday rescues.

“My attitude towards working in the healthcare field has not changed since COVID,” said Jarman. “While the virus is brutal, all of my patients have made a full recovery, and for me, it’s just another day at work”.

When Will isn’t saving lives, he is catching up on sleep that he often misses due to working 24 hour shifts. COVID has not affected his personal life too much as he lives in a house with friends, making his quarantine a bit more entertaining than the average Joe.

Lieutenant Jarman plans to work as a Seattle firefighter by 2021 and is dedicated to helping the community in whatever way he can, whether COVID is existent or not. The best piece of advice he has to share is to avoid touching your face, and to wash your hands as much as possible.