Girls Swim Team Dive Into New Season

Ely Ponti, Reporter

Bishop Blanchet and Lakeside’s Girl’s Swim and Dive went head to head at the first swim meet of the season on September 10th at Queen Anne Aquatic Center. Blanchet lost 44 to 132, but made some excellent qualifying times in metros and districts. Junior, Nataile Bloom made districts in the 200 yard IM and in the 100 yard Backstroke. 

This year is full of new beginnings since it’s the first year Bishop Blanchet has no “Braves” moniker. While having no moniker, the team is practicing new cheers and practicing what cheer they want to stick with.

“It’s really fun to participate in the school spirit at sporting events, though it is strange to do different cheers this year, different from the ones I’ve been doing the last three years, however I’m excited to see what new cheers can be made with a new moniker.” -Alexis Anderson

Jeff Casey, the head coach, is coaching his second season with Blanchet and first year assistant coaches Abby Merrit, Andrew Vandy, and Taylor Jensen. 

Practice takes place at View Ridge Swim and Tennis club everyday and meets occur every Friday at various locations. Casey drives girls on the swim bus from Blanchet to the pool. Workouts consist of long distance swimming, kicking, diving, and several drills to help swimmers get in shape and master their stroke. 

Senior captains, Alexis Anderson, Annabella Megard, Erin Mulligan, and Ely Ponti are bringing spirit back to the team by doing bonding events including tie dye, cookie Thursdays, doing captain practices, and swimmer of the meets. 

“It is important to keep the spirit alive because it brings excitement and unity to all the students in the school since we all come together to cheer on our fellow peers.” -Alexis Anderson

Last year being an abnormal year, it is important for leaders of the team to bring back traditions from previous years to bring spirit and ideas back for future swim seasons so the legacy lives on.