Expressing Creativity on the Living White Board

Students use white boards for creative expression and allow for controlled chaos.

Vivian DePina

Doodles, drawings, symbols, and words, covering school whiteboards

Vivian DePina, Reporter

Students walking into a math classroom may have a preconceived idea of what to expect, blank whiteboard, math posters, and math equations on the Smartboard. While the math posters and equations on the board are correct, the blank whiteboards are not. In room 309, the boards are filled with the controlled chaos of drawings, words and symbols.

It all began within the first week of school, thanks to Andreas Derickson

drawing the first picture, followed by myself, Vivian DePina. This continued to what it has become today a whiteboard used for creative expression. Derickson felt the need to put something on the board. When asked about his drawings, he said “A list of the things I’ve drawn; Dungeons and Dragons characters and monsters, a terrific fortress, nuclear fission, a face that you cannot see, tentacle abominations, and several plausible alien sea creatures”. He explains “Although it has become rampant this year, I started drawing on whiteboards back in sophomore year because I realized that at Blanchet, due to the smart boards, they are rarely used.” 

Andre Derickson working on a drawing on The Living White Board (Vivian DePina)

What is on this board? Hearts, faces, creatures, mushrooms, animals, and much more. Mrs. Salle has said that the board has definitely given students a creative outlet as well as a place to connect. When asked about her thoughts Salle stated “as a math teacher who generally likes my room simple and organized, it has taken getting used to. It has been growing since the start of the school year. At this point I can’t imagine the look of my room without it.”

Living White Board, as some describe it, is enjoyed and used by many students. Salle expressed her enjoyment in seeing the creative talent of her students. “It is fun to see the changing drawings and new additions as the remaining white spaces continue to be filled.” 

Some teachers might find it difficult to allow students almost complete freedom to add whatever they like to school property, but Salle doesn’t. She voiced when asked “I think it is incredibly unique and gives students something interesting to look at. It is also a great place for students to share their talent.”