A Letter to Incoming Freshman

Blake Sandvik

Congratulations on your acceptance to Bishop Blanchet High School. As a current senior, I feel there are some things that you need to do before you embark on your journey. First and foremost, the experiences you are going to encounter are ones that you will never forget. The friends you make, teachers you meet, all make the four years at Blanchet worthwhile, so make sure to be as social as possible while you’re here. High school is a transformative experience, as well as a pivotal time to grow, and mature in your own life. This time you have  helps lay down the foundation of what you want to do when you are older, helps forge lifelong friendships and helps self discovery, so while you’re here, make every class, every lunch, every after school activity count. Before you embark on this journey, I have a few tips to make this journey an enjoyable and exciting one. 

Embrace the new

This journey can seem daunting and intimidating at first, as homework becomes more and tests become longer, but embrace it. Enjoy the challenge, enjoy the things that mature and grow you. To help with embracing this new atmosphere, join clubs, join extracurricular, join sports. Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone.

Study habits

Developing early study habits will give you the edge on any academic challenge. Find quiet, comfortable places to study and reflect on schoolwork on tests that have been handed back. Personally, I think the library is a great place to study. It’s quiet, there is help if you need it, and its a perfect zen place. 

Seek support

When you need help, don’t hesitate to ask. High school is very challenging at times, but knowing that there are counselors and other resourceful teachers out there make the process ten times easier. 

Take care of yourself

Coming into a brand new place like high school can be very demanding and stressful. Take time to heal yourself, get enough sleep, good nutrition and surround yourself with positive people. Talk to people who love you, get confirmation that you are doing great given the stress that high school can put onto you. 

Enjoy the journey

While high school is undoubtedly a time of hard work, dedication, stress, worries, its also a time to enjoy to make the most of what you can. Find lifelong friends, make lifelong memories, participate in school events and activities, embrace the high school spirit!.

One thing that I would definitely suggest though, is bringing your own food to school. The lunch ladies do a fantastic job in making the food that they are given, but trust me, any food brought from home is better then what they are serving. Unless its chicken tenders on Wednesday, those are pretty good.

At Blanchet, we firmly believe that this school helps grow young people academically and emotionally. As you start your first couple classes challenge yourself to a full range of subjects. Try things you didn’t think you would. I promise you, you wont regret it. 

Once again, welcome to Bishop Blanchet. As you navigate through the halls of our school, stay social. Make friends, give subtle hellos to people you have classes with. And most importantly, maintain a fast pace in the halls. They can get really crowded sometimes so walking at a clip will definitely benefit not only you but everyone around you.

In conclusion, make the most of your time here. The transition from middle school to high school is a major one so take care of yourself. Don’t be afraid to seek guidance. This experience is definitely daunting so stay positive and you’re going to do great!