Breaking News

What are you thinking?
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

It’s Okay to Not Be Okay

Its Okay to Not Be Okay
Getty Images

September is National Suicide Prevention Month. Depression is complex, a battle, an illness, and painful. It can come in many different forms. This month gives us an important opportunity to spread awareness, and speak up. If you are someone looking for a reason or a sign to continue, this is it. You are loved, you are important, you are smart, you are beautiful, you are kind, you deserve to be heard, because you matter! 

Suicide effects all people no matter what age, gender, or ethnicity. According to the CDC and NIH, suicide is one of the top leading causes of death in the United States, with more than thousands of deaths per year. Statistics also show that men are about four times more likely to commit than women. The age range with most deaths are the elderly and young adults. 

It’s hard to remember there is a good part to life when everyday feels like a chore, but you have to keep going. You have to keep going not just for family or friends or the things you love. But most importantly for yourself.

“Here at Blanchet we do Forefront Suicide Prevention, which is a program we partnered with the University of Washington,” said school counselor Heather Rabe.

“We train freshman and sophomores on Sucide prevention through peers.”

Here at Blanchet specifically you can go to one of the many great counselors, who are here for you in any way they can. The counselors train students, adults, and faculty on suicide prevention so they can see the warning signs and find ways to help. Parents and students present the things they learned through slideshows on days like parents curriculum night, or during health class.

Suicide carries a heavy stigma, making it hard for people to ask for help. So, remember to be kind to anyone you encounter. You never know what someone’s going through, and you could just be the thing that brightens up their day. And if you’re the one that’s going through it, call or text the Suicide and Crisis Lifeline at 988 Suicide, or talk to someone you can trust.