Breaking News
  • May 13Bears girls Flag Football team to meet with Seahawks, discuss possibilities for raising sport's profile; story upcoming

What are you thinking?
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

What Can You Do About Climate Change?

Climate change is an international concern, and it’s not getting any better. It’s not just about the change in temperature. It’s also the change in weather. Things like floods, storms, and making it harder to grow food. People who have done the least to the environment that are most of the time the ones who are affected the most. 

We need to do something about it, before the damage is irreversible. Here are some ways around school to help; One thing that we could do is reduce, reuse, recycle. Students and staff recycle paper, plastic, and other materials. Most importantly at lunch time put trash and food into the wrong bins. If put into the wrong bin the garbage has a bigger impact on the environment.

Secondly, Water conservation is also an important part of action that the schools can address. Encouraging water saving such as using water-saving fixtures and turning off taps when they are not being used can help save water and reduce energy used.

Third, as a school we should cut down on paper usage in classrooms. Most classes I have been in, every student gets a large amount of papers that end up getting thrown away at the end of class. Every student has a laptop, so why not put it all online?

Another addition that I think would greatly benefit the school is reducing the amount of power used from lights. Most classrooms are bright enough when the sun is out. When it isn’t, we should have lights that turn off after a certain amount of time.

Lastly, encourage students to carpool to school.By reducing the number of vehicles on the road, would lower the emissions that students put into the sky. Students who carpool should be rewarded with free lunch some days or get their food discounted. Promoting carpooling presents a simple but effective strategy to reduce our footprint. 

Our school has already started to change to be more environmentally friendly this year. The school has installed solar panels on the roof to generate renewable energy for the school. 

In conclusion, schools have a crucial role to play in helping stop climate change through simple but effective actions. By promoting saving energy, and resources schools can make a significant difference to reducing greenhouse gas emissions and building a more sustainable future for students to come. Together, we can all make a difference in the fight against climate change, starting right in classrooms.