Breaking News
  • May 13Bears girls Flag Football team to meet with Seahawks, discuss possibilities for raising sport's profile; story upcoming

What are you thinking?
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

University of Colorado Football: A New Era

Dustin Bradford/Getty Images

Deion Sanders, known in the NFL as “Prime Time”, has undoubtedly left his mark on the sport through his skills on the field, and his charismatic personality. While he mainly made his impact on football through the NFL, he has recently expanded his legacy to the college level.

Deion Sanders was hired following the 2022 season where the team went 1-11, and finished last in the PAC-12. He symbolized the start of a new era for the buffs. Using the newly introduced transfer portal and his unorthodox coaching practices, Colorado started to pick up some momentum.

The Buffalo’s rebuild started with the commitment of Deion’s two sons, Shilo and Shedeur. They were both 4-star recruits coming out of high school, which added cornerstones to the Colorado team. They landed 5-star recruits like Cormani McClain and Travis Hunter, which is astounding considering where they were only a year before. With a team built from the ground up, it was time to suit up for the season. 

Colorado started the season in Fort Worth, Texas to play TCU, who went to the national championship the year prior. They beat the Horned Frogs 45-42 in a shootout. This symbolized a new era for Colorado football. They went back home the next week to play their rival, Nebraska. They beat the Corn Huskers handily, with a final score of 36-14. The next week, they played the Colorado State Rams, who they beat 43-35 in an incredible overtime game. This victory was stained by the loss of key wide receiver and cornerback Travis Hunter.

This would end up being the peak of the season for the Buffs. They would go on to get crushed by the Oregon Ducks 42-6, which sparked a downturn for the team. They lost 8 of their last 9 games, displaying a lack of skill in the trenches.

Though the Colorado Buffaloes ended the season on a losing streak, their 2023 season was incomparably better compared to what they were in the past. They look forward to a better 2024 season, where they can make their mark on the Big-10 conference.