Spanish Week Begins at Blanchet

Cultural Immersement Weeks look to get off to a fun start, beginning the school year with Spanish Week

Student breaking open piñata on Friday.

Student breaking open piñata on Friday.

Chad Strazzara, Reporter

“Fifa con Señor,” the allusive challenge that many have contemplated, few have attempted, and none have successfully won at.

For many, this is the first thing thought of when that unmistakable morning announcement is proclaimed over the intercom that Spanish week is here again. And rightfully so, a challenge to eclipse the stature of a faculty member, at the hands of something as self-gratifying as a videogame none the less. It has definitely earned its place in the Blanchet community’s mind as “a student favorite” among Spanish Week’s festivities.

Be that festivity great as it is, Spanish Week at Bishop Blanchet has much more to offer than just “Fifa con Señor.”

“There will be Spanish trivia questions every day that you can win candy for answering correctly, there will be time to watch Spanish movies after school every day, and we will have a piñata!” said Señora Rodriguez enthusiastically when asked about the various festivities that she, along with the BBHS Spanish Club members, have planned for Spanish week.

Señora and the Spanish Club have put a lot of cooperative effort into finding fun and interactive ways to imburse all Blanchet Students to the Spanish language and culture.

“To show the culture of all the Spanish speaking countries, and to let the school see first hand how much fun Spanish is” said Señora when asked what the most important aspect of the week was.

The program was developed to educate all of those at Blanchet (regardless of whether or not they are enrolled in a language course of the given week) about the customs, history, and culture of other countries. Through the various means of emersion into that country’s cultural aspects, the program aims to develop in students an appreciation for and the ability to interact with a diversity of peoples and viewpoints in an increasingly interconnected world.

“Every language has a national week, we want to commemorate the language, want to give everyone a chance to participate in a language maybe did not take for a class, and to have fun.” said the head of the foreign language department at Blanchet, Frau Willoughby. “We strive to make these weeks an engaging way for students to have fun with language outside of classroom.”