Varsity Girls Soccer Shoot for Metro Championship

Teammates Katie Watt and Payton Neal congratulating junior, Katie Newman, on scoring her first goal of the season while taking on Holy Names in the semi-finals.

Meredith Beach, Reporter

The team in a pre-game huddle.
The team in a pre-game huddle.

One leap is all it took for senior goalkeeper, Lee Erickson, to carry the Varsity girls soccer team into the semi-finals of the Metro Championship.

Monday night, October 26th, the Braves closed out their 2015 season with a 5-0 win over Franklin High School. Goals were seen by Kylie Kaplan, Gigi Gallaudet, Katie Watt, Lily Henling, and Taylor Chambers. Gigi also tallied an assist, along with Ellie Schober, Julia Levis, Cecelia O’Leary, and Meghan Mason. Lee Erickson and Emily Caley split the shutout in the goal box. This win topped the Mountain Division for 2015 as well as assured them the top seat heading into the Metro Tournament! The team finished their regular season 10-3-3; 10 wins, 3 losses, and 3 ties.

The team entered their first round of Metro, loser out, games on Saturday, October 31st taking on Lakeside. The team had opportunities with Katie Watt and Gigi Gallaudet both hitting the crossbar. The game was tied after overtime and was decided on kicks. Lee Erickson stood strong in the net and blocked Lakeside’s first attempt; Julia Levis, Katie Newman, Cecelia O’Leary, Kara Cunningham, and Taylor Chambers all buried their shots to carry the team through to the semis and a rematch with Holy Name, Tuesday at 5 PM at Memorial Stadium.

Starting goalkeeper, Lee Erickson, stays positive heading into Tuesday night’s game stating that, “throughout the season, we have all managed to keep our heads up and pull through. Getting this far, I think we are more than prepared to come out strong against Holy Names and get the win!”

Come out and watch the ladies continue to push through the semis and show your Brave spirit!

Brave teammates congratulating junior, Katie Newman, after scoring her first goal of the season while taking on Holy Names.
The celebration continues with the rest Newman’s teammates celebrating with her.