Roe’s second year on links leads to Metro invite

Caroline Roe, one of three senior leaders, continues to improve her game and a love for the sport

Chad Strazzara, Reporter

Helping lead the Brave golfers in her second year of play, Senior Caroline Roe contributed to a .500 regular season for the 2015-16 girls golf team. The Braves began the season with a hot start, following up their initial loss to Eastside Catholic with a 4 match win streak. Although the team’s spectacular play began to subside as the season moved into its second half, with the team dropping their next four consecutive games, the girls concluded the season on a high note with a 76-24 win over Nathan Hale. The Braves had 5 girls qualify for the Metro Championship match and, although she made the personal choice not to compete, Roe was included in this group. I had the chance to meet with Caroline and reflect on both the ‘15-’16 season and her illustrious Blanchet golf career as a whole.

Q: How long have you been playing golf? Who/What introduced you to golf?

A: I have been slightly exposed to golf my whole life, because my grandparents live on a golf course, but I did not start playing until just a few months before junior year, when I joined the team. My dad introduced me to it because he is an avid golfer.

Q: Was this your first year playing for Blanchet? What inspired you to play for the school?

A: No I played last year too. I wanted to join a new team and learn how to play a new sport because I had quit volleyball after sophomore year.

Q: Had you ever played golf competitively before? What was that experience like the first time? What did you to combat the nerves?

A: Nope. The first time I played I was nervous. I really didn’t have a steady swing. To combat my nerves I would take deep breathes and go to the side and do practice swings. I also would recall what the fundamentals were and how I would be successful.

Q: Is there a (pro) golfer whose game you try to emulate? What do you admire about them?

A: I think Jordan Spieth is cute. He is my favorite to watch because he is always focus, yet respectable to the other players and him and his caddy have a cute relationship.

Q: What is your favorite coarse/hole? Why, have you had any special experiences there?

A: My favorite course to play is probably the Jackson park course because it is our home course so I am most familiar with it. My favorite hole is the 7th hole. It is a downhill par 3 and one time I got a birdie on it. That is one of my best golf memories.

Q: Do you have any pre-match rituals? What are they and how did you develop them?

A: I always like to go the range before a match and in just repeat little phrases in my head that help me to find success of the course, like “straight back, straight through” or “keep front knee still.” Stuff like that that I know if I execute I will have a good shot.

Q: Being a senior this year, did you adopt a leadership a leadership role on the team? What did this require of you

A: Yes I was chosen to be captain which meant a lot to me. I tried to always lift my teammates up and be a positive and entertaining member of the team. Golf can be a serious sport especially because it is so individual, so being energetic and supportive is important on the road to success.

Q: What aspect of playing golf for Blanchet do you think you’ll miss the most? Why?

A: The aspect I will miss most is the people. Over my 2 years playing golf here, I have gotten to better know some really cool people that I otherwise would have never know. I was able to work with Mr. Gaskill and Ms. Comfort who are amazing coaches and have enriched not only my golf game, but me as a person, too. Oh and I guess I will miss playing in matches too.