Alumni Jennifer Shapiro talks Tradition Week

Annie Wright, Reporter

With Tradition Week of 2016 just around the corner, the braves are riled up and ready to compete, but the majority of them don’t know that many teachers celebrated the same traditions as they will. After graduating from Bishop Blanchet High School in 1998, Jennifer Shapiro has returned to her Alma modern to teach English to students who were once like her.Shapiro
Although Tradition Week is full of games, healthy competition, and some old fashion brave fun, there is more meaning and history behind it than just a solid game of volleyball. Tradition Week may mean different things to different people, but there is no denying the value of tradition that has lasted for more than thirty years.

“A lot of kids here had parents and grandparents go here so they can ask them about it and I think that creates an even larger sense of community,” said English teacher Jennifer Shapiro. “It’s pretty cool to be a part of something that has lasted for so long.

Despite the fact that some traditional events like tug-a-war and volleyball have sustain the test of time, Shapiro distinctly remembers the events where students competed not against each other, but against the faculty.

“I remember the stuff against the teachers because that was always the most fun part,” said Shapiro. “It’s always fun to have points against the teachers.”

Blanchet is known for showing extreme school spirit and Tradition Week helps to instill such values in students. According to Shapiro, not much has changed, and the braves are still an example of well-rounded and kind individuals in and out of the classroom.

“I think that’s why a lot of people like Blanchet because it’s not just known for one thing,” said Shapiro. “We have a lot of different things here that are very strong.”

Shapiro distinctly remembers her senior year Tradition Week and the inevitable stress that comes along with the traditional togas.

“Of course I totally remember togas,” said Shapiro. “It was actually really hard because, of course, some kids would show up with sheets that were printed, and then there’s the question of what you’re going to wear underneath.”

In preparation for her first Tradition Week on the other side of the desk, Shapiro has different priorities than she had as a student. Instead of worrying about what event she will take part in or whether or not her class will get the win, this year, the teacher is worried about balancing fun while still being productive in the classroom.

At the same time, she hopes the students make the most out of their time in the following week and truly encompass the true definition of what it means to be a brave.

“Classes can bond a little more and come together,” said Shapiro. “Especially for a class like the freshman class that still doesn’t really know each other that well, I think it’s a good time for them to join together for a common purpose.”

Tradition week is all about students coming together to appreciate the community that surrounds people every day along with the tradition that comes along with it. Whether students realize it or not, there are many teachers who were once stood in their spot in the stands and continued the tradition through their school spirit and rowdy competition.