Mr. Leighton gives us an insider scoop on Tradition Week

Maggie Kruzner, Reporter

LEIGHTON1AAs Tradition Week rolls around, students are excited to compete in spunky competitions to show their class spirit. However, some teachers at Bishop Blanchet hold a secret past that not many people know about: They competed in Tradition WeekLEIGHTON1 too. Mr. Curtis Leighton, theology teacher and coach of the Speech and Debate team, recalls Tradition Week with glee.

0902
Curtis Leighton as a religion teacher in 2016.

A graduate of the class of 2002, Leighton remembers Tradition Week better than some of the other alumni teachers at the school. He recalls wild flashbacks such as the indelible memory of Mr. Brett Hecko, history teacher, dressed up as a bumble bee emerging from a 7ft box of Honey Nut Cheerios.

“I hope students remember that for all the hard work that’s expected of them, there’s still a place for the goofy and the ridiculous in high school. I hope Tradition Week reminds us not to take ourselves so seriously.”

Leighton-2
Mr. Leighton and a friend strike a pose in 2001.

Leighton believes that Tradition Week is a time to be completely and utterly silly. As a religion teacher he may be in a new position of power, but he still aims to be just as spirited as he was in his past.

“My ear drums are more sensitive than they used to be (when I was a student). Now I care less about what people think of me than I did in high school which I believe will only make my Tradition Week as a teacher all the more enjoyable.”LEIGHTON1A

Leighton is excited to take part in his first Tradition Week as a staff member. As a student, he took part in many activities such as being a journalist on The Miter. Now he still holds the same values about Tradition Week that he did back in the day.

“Tradition Week means a much-needed jolt of frivolity in the midst of gloomy winter days. That, and some fierce class rivalries.”