The zoo needs you

Madeline Golliver, Editor

Interested in becoming more involved in the Seattle community? Looking for a way to contribute your opinion, outside the realm of politics? The Woodland Park Zoo, planning to renovate the recently vacated Elephant Forest exhibit, is seeking opinions from the Seattle community on what species should be housed there next.

The 3-acre exhibit, located in the Tropical Asia area of the zoo, was formerly a home for three elephants, but was emptied last May when the zoo decided to close the exhibit. The two elephants moved last year, Chai (now deceased) and Bamboo, were relocated to the Oklahoma City Zoo after temporarily residing in the San Diego Zoo. Another elephant, Sri, was moved to the Saint Louis Zoo in 2002.

This decision to phase-out the elephant program at the zoo was originally released on November 19, 2014.

Three concepts to renovate the former exhibit are now being explored by the zoo: an exhibit featuring social groups, an exhibit showing many different species, or an exhibit filled with animals that are benefiting from or are in need of important conservation efforts.

• The first plan for an exhibit would contain langur monkeys living with small deer, small herds of cattle and deer, and a walk-through bird exhibit.
  • The second plan includes a pair of apes living with small deer, a large babirusa pig, large antlered deer, and an endangered turtle breeding center.
  • The third would feature a rhinoceros living with large deer, brightly colored birds, and lowland anoa.

A survey is posted on the zoo’s website to get the public involved in planning the direction renovations will take. The survey is available here, and will be open through Friday, April 8.

If this isn’t motivation enough, the survey concludes with an offer to enter a drawing to earn $100 or a membership to the zoo.

Data from the surveys and the community’s response will certainly influence the new exhibit’s final design, but it isn’t the only factor that will be considered.

“Among the considerations, in addition to the input from the community,” said a message from the Woodland Park Zoo, according to PhinneyWood.com, “will be the availability of animals, the zoo’s ability to care for them in this climate, their connection to their wild counterparts and conservation education to our guests and community.”

A meeting was held on March 1 to answer questions and receive feedback about the proposals.

For students looking to influence their community in a positive way, and have a hand in affecting the zoo experience for tourists and locals alike, becoming vocal in the planning of the exhibit and participating in the survey is an excellent option.

After all, the zoo needs you to help decide the future of the Elephant Forest exhibit.