Salvete Omnes, Braves

Alexa Vecchio, Reporter

Latin is a language that may be only recently revived on Wallingford Avenue, but it has been around for centuries influencing cultures and shaping lives.

Latin came to Bishop Blanchet as a new language course two years ago and along with it came Latin Week. For the past two years, the week has shown the students how the language has affected Western cultures in ways they weren’t aware of.

Ms. Molly McFarland, the Latin club moderator and the teacher of the school’s Latin classes, puts it best. When asked about what types of influences Latin has had on our culture, her answer is simple.

“How long do you have? Greeks and Romans are the basis of Western Civilization,” said McFarland. “It’s everywhere. From the names of the days of the weeks to the laws laws that govern our country, I find new ways every single day that the Greeks and Romans influence our world.”

The week was certainly memorable for all of Bishop Blanchet’s students, but it was exceptionally meaningful for those studying the language.

“This week really gave the school the opportunity to have fun while learning about all the different ways that Latin has influenced our society,” said senior Latin student Willa Van Liew.

The students and members involved were excited to participate in events, like the mosaic graham cracker decorating and student led reflections.

“Hope Gould did an exceptional job with her morning reflection talking about not just Latin but how that influenced her study of French and other languages,” said McFarland. “Mostly I just really loved students getting excited about things like the Harry Potter spells, and making those connections. Abbie Ranta did a great job with the trivia questions, I thought she did a good job getting things that students would be interested in finding out.”

Ranta also talked about Latin Week from a student’s perspective.

“My favorite part of Latin Week was the opportunity to share a lesser-known language with the school,” said Ranta, “and to participate in the activities put on by the Latin Club.”

Next year the Latin club hopes to put on a performance of the assassination scene from Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar and to have mock gladiator battles.