Varsity Baseball Split The Series With Ballard

Alex French, Reporter

The Brave Baseball team beat the Ballard Beavers 5-2 on Wednesday night to split the season series, 1-1.

The team lost to the Beavers on Tuesday, but played very well. They hit the ball very hard on about twelve occasions. In most games these would have resulted in hits and runs, but on Tuesday that was not the case.

“We hit the ball so hard, just right at guys. It was one of those days”, said senior outfielder Riley Noonan.

It was was a tough loss, making Wednesday’s game a “must win”. The Metro league is divided into four divisions with four teams in each division. Whoever has the best league record will get a first overall seed and a first round bye in the first round of the Metro playoffs. If they can get this, they will set them up for a real shot at district playoffs and on from there.

“We understand the importance of winning our games against teams in our league. That will set us up to be in the best position for later in the year”, said Senior shortstop Alex Freeman.

Dylan Lamb started the second game on the mound and went the distance. He only allowed two runs to a big hitting Ballard team. This is exactly what the team expects when Lamb takes the mound. He had one of the best pitching performances in Braves history as a sophomore and is continuing that into this season.

“After the first inning, I locked in. I knew we were going to do well”, said Lamb.

The team was led on offense by Adam Gryniewicz, Dylan Lamb, and Simon Serwold. Serwold came up big in the late innings to deliver an insurance run.

Defensively, Alex Freeman anchored the infield, and Tommy Vail made some highlight reel plays in left, including a diving catch to save a hit.

The Braves are in the same conference as the Beavers so they needed to win this game to potentially have a first seed in the Metro playoffs. They have five games over Spring break and looks to continue their strong start of the season.

Coach Mike Finnegan said, “This team is different than any I’ve coached. They seem to have a different makeup to them. They all like each other and are a focused bunch.”

The team is taking it game by game in hope to put themselves in a position to go deep into the postseason.