Hunger Retreat a major success and inspiration

Jordyn Long, Reporter

The Hunger Retreat has been a tradition at Bishop Blanchet High School for over a decade, and has been inspiring students to help those in poverty ever since.hunger retreat

“We participated in the Poverty Workshop for the first time this year,” said Mrs. Anne Monica, a longtime leader of the retreat, “and it was quite an eye opening experience.”

The poverty workshop is a simulation of a month’s time in a low income household.

“It gives students a better understanding of how hard it is for people who are low income to make ends meet every month,” said Monica. “They learned to discard the stereotypes attached to those in poverty, and that these low income people are our brothers and sisters trying to survive along with the rest of us.”

Taped to a wall on the first floor of Blanchet is a giant poster covered in quotes written by attendees of the retreat. They all send similar messages to that of Monica, that the poor aren’t lazy or irresponsible, but that they just need help surviving.

“I felt like I was making an impact on the younger generation at Blanchet. I had my eyes opened to a multitude of issues surrounding hunger in Seattle,” said Neah Gardiner, a leader on the Hunger Retreat and St. Vincent De Paul board member.

The retreat has been an inspiration to many, and hopefully sends out students to help the impoverished, all of our brothers and sisters in need.