One meet breaks seven records

Olivia Gasca, Editor

On April 12, 2016, the Bishop Blanchet Track and Field team traveled to the Sammamish Plateau to compete against Eastside Catholic and Lakeside at Eastside, only the second track meet held at the new facility. The results were record-breaking, literally.

In total, seven new stadium records were set by the Braves.

Zach Petrizzo, Parker Rathbun, Peter Hogan, and Joseph Halverson set in a new record of 3:43.54 for the 4×400 relay.

“It felt great to break this stadium record with my teammates,” said Joseph Halverson. “We went out and ran the race; we didn’t think we would run that fast. Once we finished we realized how we did and we were happy about how we performed. I can’t wait to see what we accomplish next week!”

Seniors Hogan (880 meters) , Bahati Ulwenya (shot put), and Taylor Barnes (long jump) all set new records in their events. Not to be outdone, junior Jeremiah Stone broke two records, and on the girls squad, sophomore Jillese Bush broke one.

“As a team we have fought hard to achieve stadium records and new personal bests,” said Petrizzo, “but there is much more work for us to place high in Metros! Continued determination and hard work will lead us to post season success.”

The Braves were happy with their accomplishments at the meet.

Junior  Alex Sheldrup ran the 200 and high jump placing fourth in the 2nd heat.

“I’m proud of my accomplishments in the 2nd heat,” said Sheldrup,  “but there is always room to improve. I get a lot of encouragement from my teammate, Ginger Markow, who always makes sure she tells me she believes in me before I run.”

The Track and Field team heads to Pasco this weekend for the Pasco Invite at Edgar Brown Stadium and are eager to accomplish more.