5,000 miles later…

Kathryn Needham class photo

Emilia Zottoli, Reporter

Stepping off of the plane into the frigid Seattle air, Kathryn Needham knew that her new life was just starting, but it happened to be starting 5,000 miles away from the familiar comfort of home.

The first day of orientation finally rolled around, and Needham walked into the doors of Blanchet extremely nervous.

She found it difficult to assimilate to the new environment that Blanchet had to offer.

Needham was not alone; in fact, many students at Bishop Blanchet  have had sudden transfers into the unknown of a new high school hallway.

Sophomore Kathryn Needham traveled 5,000 miles from London, England and is now an addition to the Brave community.

It is never easy transferring into an unknown environment surrounded by the immediate hustle and bustle of high school.

“At first it was very hard adjusting to how different BBHS was from my old school,” said Needham, “I missed my home in England.”

Needham made the transition from ACS Cobham International School to Bishop Blanchet because of her dad’s transfer to the Seattle Microsoft office.

As many transfer students know, adjusting to a new setting is difficult and can seem uneasy initially.

Fortunately, the Brave community is known for it’s ability to be warm and understanding in circumstances that require a transfer or the entering into the school in general.

For Needham, the initial steps of putting herself out there was hard, but once she immersed herself into the community, it began feeling more and more like her home across the globe.

Adjusting to Bishop Blanchet learning and involvement in the community was something that Needham dove into right away.

A part of the cross country, basketball and track and field teams, Needham has surely adjusted to the fast-paced, athletic environment that Blanchet has to offer.

Participating on many teams during her time at Blanchet has been memorable for Needham, as has attending football games and assemblies.

“BBHS is a welcoming and diverse community that I’m proud to be a part of,” said Needham, ” It celebrates individuality and accommodates it by offering a wide variety of activities.”

Although assimilating is difficult initially, Blanchet does an amazing job at providing students the same growth and individuality that is provided for students that started their freshman year.

“It’s good to be a Brave,” said Needham.

The motto of Be True, Be Kind, Be Brave is implemented for every student and faculty and staff member affiliated with Blanchet.

This motto serves as a comfort for students like Needham that are coming into unfamiliar territory and starting anew in a high school community.

Now an essential piece to the Brave family, Needham misses home, but does not regret the initial steps she took off the plane and into her new home.