Girls Track and Field compete April 23rd

Olivia Gasca, Editor

The athletes experienced great running and competing weather on April 23rd at a competition at Edmond’s

uhiu
Sophmore, Mirabelle Roa races to the finish line in the relay

high school last Saturday.

This was a great competition for the braves as they broke many personal records in different events.
 Junior, Meron Girma participated in the Discus and shot put setting a new personal record of 72ft with a 15ft improvement and placed 3rd in the shot put.
“By setting a new personal record, it showed my improvement that wasn’t only from my personal work but with the help and support of my coaches and fellow throwers.”
Girma believes that her biggest strength throughout this meet was her form in her discus because it made a big difference. She also thinks she could work on the form for her shotput more.  She wants to keep up the good work and start working towards metros and districts.
Running the 800 meter for the very first time, junior Sophia Lacambra was surprised to learn that it was way harder than she had expected that it would be.
“The 800 meter was tough,” said Lacambra, “but my team had a lot of spirit which helped with the competition. I hope to keep a better attitude next time.”
Sophia wants to improve by maintaining a constant acceleration when she’s running in the race.
But the Braves also faced a lot of false starts and bad luck throughout the competition as Junior, Beatriz Cuevas says. Cuevas participated in the triple and long jump
“My goals for this season would probably be to make it to districts and state, but I have to stay focused to achieve that!”
 The Girls compete next on Saturday April, 30th at the lake Washington Invite.