Bienvenue à Les Etas-Unis (Welcome to America!)

Kelly McGinnis, Reporter

The Bishop Blanchet community welcomes are friends all the way from Les Sables-D’olonne, France.

On April 22, loaded buses arrived in the quad of Blanchet with French exchange students and teachers from Les Sables-D’olonne, France. Their hosts, who are Blanchet students, greeted them off the bus, introducing themselves in person for the first time.

The exchange students come to Blanchet to experience the American culture. Every freshman at the exchange students’ high school does a huge project about America and its culture. This project takes up most of the year and focuses on aspects of America and specifically, Seattle.

“We have been preparing for this trip for a very long time,” said French exchange student Antoine Spellermaeken, “I was very excited to come to America.”

The whole 9th grade class of Les Sables-D’olonne was put into groups and which are focusing on different aspects of Seattle’s culture.

“My group is focusing on pollution in Seattle,” said Spellermaeken, “I define the amount of pollution in my own words along with my group. When we return to France we will present our reports to the entire class.”

Along with the educational purposes of their trip to Blanchet and America, the exchange students hope to enjoy our culture as well.

“Blanchet is very beautiful! Everyone is so nice and funny,” said Spellermaeken, “I love the breakfast in America; IHOP is my favorite place!”

While staying here in America the exchange students will visit many different places in Seattle, including Pike Place Market, The Chocolate Factory and several museums.

The purpose and preparation for this trip has been rigorous for the students. They have researched and learned so much about the American culture and finally, they get to experience it first hand.

“I love the people, food, and the beauty of America,” said Spellermaeken.