Seattle, Are You Ready!?

Kelly McGinnis, Reporter

With the line up recently coming out on the website, the talk of Bumbershoot has become quite the hot commodity.

Bumbershoot is an annual international music and arts festival held in Seattle, Washington every year since 1971.

The first Bumbershoot was originally called Festival ’71 rather than Bumbershoot. It included a logging show, indoor motorcycle races in the Key Arena, horseback rides for kids and ‘the world’s first electronic music instrument jam.’  The ‘Hot Pants Contest’ was one of the biggest attractions. Local rock bands and dance troupes were featured. The festival was held on August 13–15 and attracted the largest crowd to Seattle Center since 1962-63.

Over the years Bumbershoot developed into a bigger and better festival. In the big city, if you ask a local Seattleite about Bumbershoot they will know exactly what you are talking about, they might even say they have attended the festival once or twice.

When students and teachers of Bishop Blanchet were asked about Bumbershoot, The Miter found a range of music fanatics and others who were not so hardcore.

“I have never gone to Bumbershoot and I don’t plan to,” said Director of Educational Technology Laura Meaux, “I feel it’s more for a younger crowd and not worth it.”

Bumbershoot is filled with all kinds of hip new and undiscovered acts. Usually the younger generations tend to like the bigger acts more compared to the older generations.

“The first time I went was in 1985,” said performing arts instructor Sean Richardz, “I have gone to the festival about 15 times now.”

Richardz, Bishop Blanchet’s own faculty member, has memories of seeing all kinds of different acts at Bumbershoot, including Tower Power, Elvis Costello, Steve Ray Vaughan, George Thyroid, Miles Davis, and Little Feat.

“What’s great about Bumbershoot is that you see all kinds of different performers and artists,” said Richardz

Junior Scott Doquilo attended the festival in August of last year, and saw artists like Jean Aiko, and G-Eazy.

“G-Eazy was hands down the best experience,” said Doquilo.

This year includes both old and new musicians and acts like Billy Idol,  Macklemore and Ryan Lewis.

“I cannot wait until this summer’s Bumbershoot,” said junior Lucas Gordon, “it’s about to be lit!”

The prices for this years music festival ranges from $200 – $3000 per ticket including different kinds of luxuries.

“I usually get my tickets on Bumbershoot.com for general admission,” said junior Ashley Wood, “they ususally have pretty fair prices as long as you get them early enough.”

The lineup is posted, and the anticipation for Bumbershoot starts now!