“The Green Midget” becomes a green Brave

Señor Gamez dominating the field while showing off his skills for one of the many teams he is a part of.

Meredith Beach, Reporter

With an irresistible love for the game, Señor Luis Gamez has carried his passion for soccer all throughout his life from Oregon, to Mexico, and then to Seattle.

Though raised in The Dalles, Oregon, Gamez was still able to spend time with family while exploring his roots in Mexico. Given the chance to experience two different cultures first-hand while still only a child is something that opened him up to the world. Following his travels back and forth to Mexico, he eventually made the transition to Seattle where he attended Seattle University.

Being able to keep the sport up throughout his youth, Gamez has still found a way to incorporate it into his everyday adult lifestyle as both a teacher and father.

Gamez has been playing ever since he could remember, including when he was 10 years old and playing on “The Green Midgets” soccer team. Growing up surrounded by close friends and immediate as well as extended family, he was always able to find someone to kick the ball around with him.

“Well I was initially a cowboy like my father,” said Gamez, “but my ‘favorite uncle’ was really into soccer, so I made the switch.”

During the time that he was attending Seattle University, he was a part of the teaching program while, at the same time, playing division 2 and division 1 soccer.

Besides playing just about every day, he is also a coach for a club soccer team. He actively plays on 3 different teams, a men’s league on Sundays, an ‘over 30 league’ on Mondays, and a Coed team on Tuesdays. He has played a key part in leading his team to numerous undefeated seasons. Talk about dedication!

Though his passion for soccer was always strong, he attended Seattle University for the education, not the game. His sudden interest in teaching had come about during high school while watching TV. While flipping through channels, he stopped on one that instantly drew him in. On the TV was a commercial of an English-speaking teacher unable to pronounce the name of a Spanish-speaking 2nd grader. The commercial continued to show the 2nd grader with a Spanish-speaking teacher, seeming much happier. It ended with a saying along the lines of ‘you might not change the world, but you can change a life. Become a teacher.’

Señor Gamez with his daughter, Naya, both of whom are representing their favorite soccer team!

“Kind of corny, I know,” said Gamez, “but it really clicked and stayed with me.”

Throughout his years of education and schooling, he has had many great experiences with his own teachers who were able to inspire him. They shaped his desire to do the same for others in a setting where he was able to freely share his language and his culture.

Following his studies at Seattle University, he became employed at Blanchet in 2010. Graduating with a Bachelor’s degree in Humanities for teaching and a Spanish minor, he went on to become the new BBHS Spanish instructor. Along with teaching, he was also given the chance to be the assistant coach for the boys’ varsity soccer team, coaching alongside Mr. Chris Connors, though that came as no surprise.

Over the course of the past few years, he hit some major milestones. He got engaged and married and they were just recently blessed with a baby girl named Naya. He has made sure that she is fully equipped with her soccer gear, including onesies, baby cleats, and some soccer balls. He is making an effort to share his passion with her while, at the same time, not pushing anything and letting her experiment with what is around her.

While fresh into the life of parenthood, Gamez is excited for his future and what lies ahead. He hopes to see himself spending a lot of quality time with his family, playing sports, traveling, and making some great memories.

“Soccer means a lot to me,” said Gamez. “It means passion, teamwork, sacrifice, and joy.”