Braves Weather Storm of Departures, Begin Undefeated

Zach Walls, Reporter

The varsity girls’ soccer team enters the 2016 season without some of the key contributors of the last campaign.

While the loss of seniors, including LMU goalkeeper Lee Erickson, was expected, the program unexpectedly lost four other key players. Senior captain Taylor Chambers suffered a torn ACL and is out for the season, junior forward Georgia Costa is on a six month exchange in Brazil, and senior midfielders Cecelia O’Leary and Lily Henling both elected to run cross country. All in all, the Braves return just nine members of the 2015 squad.

This much turnover would sink most teams, but the Braves still hold high expectations for this season.

“The goals are to make it to the Metro Tournament, Metro Finals, and State” said senior captain Katie Newman. “We also want to have a really good record.”

If the Braves accomplish these goals, it would put the 2016 squad up with some of the most decorated teams in school history. The team certainly believes they have the talent to be one of the best in recent memory.  dsc_0286-2

“This team is pretty young compared to teams in the past,” said senior goalkeeper Emily Caley. “However that doesn’t mean we won’t be as strong. I believe we are just as strong, if not stronger.”

Younger and stronger. The former shoots out to anyone who glances over a roster sporting ten first year varsity players, including three freshmen. As for the latter, the Braves think they will be fine with the newer squad.

“I think we found players who can keep the same high level and fill the shoes of the team from last year,” said junior midfielder Cameron Griffin.

The Braves backup these claims with a flying start to the season by posting a 2-0-1 record, including an 8-0 thrashing of Ingraham in their last match. The early success has come on the backs of two star performers; freshmen striker Katie O’Kane and junior winger Gigi Gallaudet have contributed a combined eight goals and five assists.

The Braves look to continue their unbeaten start to the season in the team’s home opener on Tuesday against Bainbridge at 6:00 p.m.