Braves Serve up the Season with Hope and Success

Grace Klauser, Reporter

The Braves varsity volleyball team has finally reached the long anticipated 2016 season. The girls spent their summer at open gyms and camps preparing for tryouts.

The 2016 season started out with one loss to a tough team, a successful tournament and two wins.

“I am excited for the season,” said junior setter Stephanie Waetcher. “I have been waiting for a long time to get back on the court. It’s hard work, but well worth it when we win.”

The girls are already hard at work to accomplish their goals for the season.

“We want to make another appearance at state,” said senior outside hitter and team captain Beatriz Cuevas. “As a team, we need to work together so we can achieve more victories and soon compete at a higher level.”

Holding high hopes for their future, the girls were surprised to find out they were losing some of their best players, but they are confident it will not set them back from accomplishing what they are aiming to do.

There were a few other surprises that came with the new season.

“I was surprised to see how much everyone had improved since last year,” said junior right side and  outside hitter Katie Merrywell. “Also, the freshman are at such a high level. I think we have a good chance of winning some games and making it back to State.”

The girls are excited to be entering the season with confidence. Progress and improvement is already being made.

Excellent work has been shown by all the girls. Especially, digs from senior Yzzie Montero, assists by junior Stephanie Waetcher and senior Malia Noury and hits and blocks from junior Katie Merrywell and seniors Beatriz Cuevas, Julia Leon and Natalie Phillips.