JV Football Kicks off Season with Success

Sophia Petrucci, Reporter

The junior varsity football team is starting strong this season with a win against  Archbishop Murphy in their first game, last Monday.

The game, which took place at Archbishop Murphy on September 12, ended with a score of 25-13, a solid win for the Braves. It featured the efforts of sophomore Chris Frost who caught two touchdowns, and sophomore Owen Albert who scored for the team with a punt return.

Chris Frost said the key to their success so far is a balance of work and fun.

“We had a couple seniors that came down and were great leaders,” said JV coach Dominic Salle, “They did a great job helping out the younger guys and showing them how it’s done in the JV game.”

This kind of cooperation is critical, as the players range from freshmen to seniors. Two freshmen, Connor Stutz and Nathan Prinz, are a new part of the team and played well in their opening game.

“It’s a new crop of kids who get a chance to prove themselves,” said Salle.

And prove themselves they will if their first game is any indication. The victory reflects a summer of training and a commitment to continued improvement, as well as the coaching efforts of Mr. Salle. He says the goals for this year include helping the players get good experience time on the field, and the players agree.

“It was great,” said Frost, “it was just great to see our offense click. I’m just excited to get back on the field next week.”

The Braves go on to play their next game on Monday, September 19 against Juanita High School. The game is at Juanita at 5 p.m.