Runners Set!

Julia Weinand, Reporter

The Bishop Blanchet boys’ cross country team traveled to Tacoma on September 10, to compete in the 18th annual Bellarmine Invite.

The first interscholastic race of the year, the Bellarmine Invite is the only two mile race of the season. Blanchet’s varsity team placed sixth overall out of fourteen high schools in Washington and Oregon. Senior Connor Rauch was the first of the Braves across the finish line in ninth place. Separate races were held for boys’ varsity, junior varsity, and freshman teams.

Cross country is a no cut sport populated by over one hundred Blanchet boys this year. Six senior captains and five assistant coaches set great examples for the other runners. Cross country provides opportunities to compete as a team while reaching for individual goals.

“Hopefully they’re all on the same mission which is self improvement,” said Coach John O’Leary. “If they all buy into the self improvement then they all have something in common.”

Optional summer training practices are held over the summer to prepare the runners for their fall season. Most go to stay in shape but others go to catch up with friends.

“Even if you’re not super good at running or you’ve never really ran before, there’s still a place for you on the team,” junior runner Matt Broom said.

The next meet is at Magnuson Park on September 21 at 3:40 p.m.