Braves Sail Through Regular Season, Embark on Postseason Journey

Senior Katie Newman passes the ball against Bainbridge.

Isabelle Thornburg

Zach Walls, Reporter

After going 3-4-1 to close out the regular season, the Braves embarked on their postseason campaign on October 25 with a home match against Eastside Catholic.

With elimination on the line, the teams found themselves scoreless at halftime. Eastside opened the scoring shortly after the break. Katie Watt was able to poach an equalizer off a Gigi Gallaudet cross and the stage was set for a dramatic finish. Katie O’Kane noticed the keeper was out of position and made her pay by scoring a long distance free kick to take the lead. However, in the 78th minute, Eastside were awarded a dubious penalty kick. Sophomore goalkeeper Sadie Kenny clutched up to save the penalty and hand the Braves a dramatic win.

“Sadie really came up clutch.” said Gallaudet. “If she doesn’t make that save, we might not being playing.”

The Braves moved on to the next round with an away match at Garfield. The Bulldogs would prove to be a tough out, taking the lead early in the second half. History was able to repeat itself, as the Braves equalized and then won through second half goals from Gallaudet and O’Kane.

Seniors Emily Caley, Meghan Mason, Brooklyn Gomez, Becca McCullough and Katie Newman on Senior Night.

“Having forwards of the caliber of Gigi and Katie means we are never out of a game,” said junior midfielder Ellie Schober.

In the semifinals, the Braves were greeted by defending state champions Seattle Prep at Memorial Stadium. Despite a strong showing, the Braves fell to the Panthers 5-1.

“Prep is a very talented team,” said senior captain and center back Katie Newman. “However, I feel we are also very talented and will make some noise at state.”

While lesser teams would have let this loss get them down, they Braves showed great resolve by beating the Roosevelt Roughriders to clinch third place in the Metro League and a berth in the state tournament.

After some tough Metro Tournament games, the team moves on to state. The location and opponent of their next contest will be announced next week.