A Christmas Carol Comes Together Link by Link

Nico Dangla, Felix Halvorson, and Lawrence McDonell prepare for the school preview of A Christmas Carol.

Julia Weinand, Reporter

Blanchet’s theater program has been wrapping up final touches on its performance of A Christmas Carol. Over the next weekend, the set, props, and costumes will be transported to the Moore Theater on 2nd Avenue in Downtown Seattle.

The actors have been hard at work since mid-September. Rehearsals have ramped up over the past few weeks in order to incorporate more aspects of the polished production and assimilate the actors to the theater.

“[Our progress has] been really impressive considering … we usually have a lot more time,” said actress Siena Henson.

The musical schedule had to be shortened by five weeks in order to accommodate the construction plans.

This last Tuesday was the first time the cast rehearsed with the full orchestra. Previously rehearsing with only piano accompaniment provided by Cass Seely, a flute, clarinet, bass, drum set, cello, and two violins were also added to the mix. The orchestra lined the wall of the black box that represents the audience, and filled the room with a resonating sound. Composed by Alan Menken, Blanchet’s performing arts instructor, Mr. Sean Richarz, will be conducting the performance.

Aside from the actors, the stage management, stage, publicity and marketing, hair and makeup, and costume crews have been hard at work.

“I’m a little nervous,” said co-costume crew head Emma Facer. “We have a lot of really quick changes in there, but really it’s going to be more exciting than difficult I think.”

The first run with actors in full hair and makeup took place last Sunday. This gave the actors and crew members a better understanding of how transitions between characters will need to work during the performance.

Adding layer upon layer to the musical, A Christmas Carol will present itself as a true work of art on opening night, Dec 9.

“It’s when everything comes together,” said Lawrence McDonell. “It’s like you’ve been working with shades on the entire time, then it’s like somebody just takes them off and you see all in color of what everyone [has] been working for.”

McDonell has been putting his acting and choral talents to use as old Ebenezer Scrooge.

An end of day community period assembly on Dec 2, will provide a sneak peak of the coming attraction to all Bishop Blanchet students. One hundred free tickets per performance are provided to the first Blanchet students to claim them.