Metro Play Begins; Braves Prove to be Tough Out

Zach Walls, Reporter

On December 2nd, the varsity boys’ basketball team won its first Metro League contest of the season 63-43 over the Bainbridge Island Spartans.

Trailing after the first quarter, the Braves outscored the Spartans 18-3 in the second quarter, foreshadowing the blowout that was to come in the second half. Despite being the target of early trash-talk from the Bainbridge student section, freshman shooting guard Maui Sze exploded for 19 points and 7 boards, carrying the Braves to victory.

“I got into a rhythm after missing my first couple shots,” said Sze. “From then on the game just went uphill, both for the team and myself.”

Sze wasn’t the only star for the Braves. Junior center Jack Shanahan added 15 points, shooting 70 percent from the floor, and senior power forward Liam Eberhardt provided the dagger to kill off Bainbridge with a breakaway, two-handed dunk to put the Braves up 23.

“When Liam threw down that slam, you could feel Bainbridge just give up,” said junior point guard TJ Kenny.

Despite simply outclassing Bainbridge, Blanchet was reminded about how deep Metro really is when they were handed a 59-49 defeat courtesy of the Ballard Beavers on December 6th.

“Ballard was definitely a difficult team,” said junior power forward Will Fleming. “But there’s no use in doing anything but putting all our focus on [Seattle] Prep.”

The team is shifting all of it focus towards its next game, where they will host the potent duo of UC-Irvine commit Collin Welp and Seattle U commit Aaron Nettles, and a talented Seattle Prep team in a rivalry matchup on December 9th at Blanchet.