JV Girls’ Basketball Continues Their Perfect Streak

Samantha Conroy, Reporter

The Bishop Blanchet girls’ basketball team came out on top against Roosevelt with a score of 49-21 on December 14th, 2016.

The Braves stayed consistent in their intensity and speed throughout the game by breaking the other team’s press and playing tenacious defense.

“We were able to get 8 stops in the just the first quarter,” said freshman guard Ellie Walker. “This shows that we came out energized, determined, and we worked as a unit.”

Struggling to execute their plays on offense, the team decided to focus on rebounding which allowed them to get ahead in scoring easy lay-ups.

“I was really glad we focused on boxing out in practice,” said sophomore guard Jane O’Connor. “If we hadn’t done that, we would have had a really tough time with our offense considering that we all need to improve our shooting skills.”

With strong rebounding and tough defense, the Roughriders didn’t stand a chance in beating the Braves. The Blanchet girls managed to pull away with a 20 point lead only 4 minutes after halftime.

“This week is full of playing teams that want to pressure and beat us. We handled the pressure pretty well last night for it only being our 4th game,” said junior guard Jordan Ruiz. “We have a hard string of games coming this week with West Seattle on Friday and Garfield on Saturday.”

The Braves hope to continue their winning streak as they face West Seattle during a quad night on Friday, December 15th at 4:00 pm.