JV Girls Basketball Beats Strong Rainier Beach Team

Samantha Conroy, Reporter

On January 4th, 2017, the Bishop Blanchet JV girls basketball team rung in the new year with a win against Rainier Beach 49-40.

The team started off strong, getting six defensive stops in the first quarter but struggled offensively to execute their plays with Beach’s aggressive defense.

“Rainier Beach was a scrappy team,” said junior guard Jordan Ruiz, “but also had a lot of talent. “Their best shooter was a recent transfer from Garfield, Mari Lilly, and we did a great job of shutting her down on defense.”

Offensively, the team was lead by junior post Summer Cyr, who scored 12 points from offensive put-backs due to her persistence with rebounding.

“I was really proud of our team for rising to the occasion and pulling out the win against a team that was intimidating at first, especially due to their size,” said junior post Summer Cyr. “I knew had to box out their main post player, and I was able to with communication from my teammates and remembering the techniques we used in practice.”

Freshman guard Ellie Walker saw limited minutes due to an knee injury, but played to the best of her abilities.

“We worked as a real unit this past game,” said Walker. “That game was tough and I could definitely say there were questionable calls, but we made the most of it together and came out on top.”

The Braves will play again Friday, January 6th at 4:00 pm against Chief Sealth at Chief Sealth International High School.