The Girl’s Swim Team Dives Into the Season

Molly Miska, Reporter

The Varsity Girls Swim Team is looking forward to a positive season this year after securing their first team win and many individual wins over Cleveland High School on September 8th. The girls hope this momentum will set the pace for the rest of their season and have a positive outlook on their upcoming meets.

The team accomplished a lot as they dominated the lanes at Rainier Beach Pool. Hailey Mears secured the 1st place spot in the 50 Free and Kayla Ponti secured second in the 500. Swimmer of the meet was awarded to Sarah Van Halenbeck, who swam an impressive 500.

This is a very age diverse team, from freshman to seniors, all of different skill sets and levels, who all come together for their love of swimming.

The girls hope to succeed this season and have high hopes for the things to come.

“Probably state, metros is good too. We really wanna drop time and swim fast.” were some of the goals Senior Greta Geviett says the team is hoping to achieve this year. “Being a new swimmer is challenging, but the girls on the team are really encouraging and supportive.”

The team has expressed that even though this is an individual sport, it is important for them to work together and encourage each other to try their best and to help the team secure more wins this season.

“It is difficult to remember that it is a team sport sometimes because we are swimming on your own and racing by yourself ”, says Mears, “but you remember that your achievements help the team and that’s a really cool feeling.”

Mears also hopes to keep succeeding and to pull away with some more wins by cutting time this season.

The girl’s next meet is at Queen Anne Pool vs Nathan Hale next Friday September 22nd.